Sunday, April 05, 2020

Catholic Communion During Coronavirus: Revisited

A few days ago, I wrote an article concerning the reception of communion in Catholic churches during this time of pandemic associated with Covid19 and Coronavirus. I just wanted to post some updates and tweaks in my stance on this. It may evolve further as time goes on but I wanted to just take a moment to offer some clarification on it.

Many of my Catholic brethren have expressed disagreement with dioceses around the world banning the sacraments altogether. I have since looked into the ideas of some people concerning making Mass available while also addressing concerns around the pandemic. I believe some of these ideas were rather innovative, just as I mentioned some innovative ideas surrounding the sacrament of reconciliation.

Sunday Obligation
One of my concerns was that by making Mass available, the bishop would be creating an obligation to attend Mass under the pain of mortal sin. A proponent of offering Mass said the dispensation to attend Mass could be continued while not having an outright ban. People could choose for themselves if they would like to go.

People mentioned that civil authorities had not banned other activities such as grocery store shopping and therefore, why should churches be shut down. In other words, "If I can go get a mini fridge at Canadian Tire, why can't I receive Jesus Christ in the Eucharist?" This is a valid point. My rejoinder to this line of reasoning is that Canadian Tire is optional whereas Mass is ordinarily not. This seems to be addressed by making Mass optional as it were.

I do still wonder about the risk of this. I mean I also wonder about the risk of going grocery shopping. Just because one risky activity is allowed does not mean that all risky activities should be allowed. I think people have different tolerance levels when it comes to risk. I am personally very risk-averse in this pandemic. I do not like to even go outside for a walk. I become very nervous about it. On the other hand, other people are casually going to the store without a worry in the world. I wonder if people who are very risk averse would have no qualms about missing Mass if it were not obligatory or would some still feel "pressured" to attend despite their discomfort. To ignore people who feel this way, I believe, would be somewhat cruel.

Packed Churches
Another concern I had was imaging normal crowds of people attending Mass during this outbreak. Most places can now not have more than 10 people in a particular area and we are obliged to be at least 6 feet apart. This is based on expert advice. So when I imagine a church with Sunday attendance, I wonder how this could possibly work given these guidelines. Again there may be innovative solutions to solve this. For example, if you had a church like our basilica in St. John's Newfoundland, you could have one person (or people who live together) per section and every other section (or 2) would be blocked off. There would be a maximum number of attendees during a particular Mass.

Another option would be to have a Mass outside the church with the altar being under some kind of canopy. The faithful could park outside as they would in a drive-in theatre.

Reception of Communion
There has been some discussion about how one would go about receiving communion in such a pandemic. Many suggestions have been made. I am not sure if I am convinced by any of them. Some say that reception on the tongue is much safer than reception on the hand. However, in this time, I am not sure how either is "safe". This is one that would require some exploration. Some have suggested the priest "sanitize" his hands after each time he gives communion. Is this possible? I am not sure. Will it work? Again, I am not sure.


Attitude
I may be wrong, but I am afraid some may be using this as an opportunity to compare their faith and regliousness to that of others in an uncharitable way. "I advocate lots of Masses regardless of the risk, therefore I am more serious about my faith!" I think exposing people to a high degree of risk is not charitable at all, but the opposite. There is a difference between prudence and heroic virtue. I'm not saying that those advocating a cavalier attitude are more virtuous, but people willing to risk themselves may be displaying virtue. For example, going into a dangerous area to offer comfort, or if one were a priest, to offer the sacraments, could be a sign of great love and charity. Simply demanding that others put themselves at risk is not charitable.

An Example
I have been listening to a very amazing audio series on Youtube about St. Charles Borromeo and the plague. He displayed extraordinary virtue by putting himself at risk for the sake of his flock. He truly displayed great heroic virtue. He cared nothing for preserving his own life but only about the eternal salvation of his spiritual children. Many followed his example and ventured into the plague-striken areas of Milan to administer the sacraments with little regard to their own well-being. Miraculously, his followers who visited countless sick and destitute did not themselves contract the dreaded illness. It reminds me of Jesus Christ who said those who try to save their lives will lose it but those who give their lives for the Kingdom of God will gain it.

Thoughts
Overall I think this situation requires balance. Prudence means doing what is reasonable. Even in the time of the plague in the time of St. Charles, most Masses and the sacraments were cancelled. Were they completely stopped? Probably not, but even then there were measures taken to ensure the safety of Catholics. If safety can be ensured and people are given choices, I think the sacraments can be offered in limited ways as opposed to being outright banned.

Open to Ideas
Please feel free to contribute to this complex topic. I am open to reasonable ideas and am only advocating what I believe to be the best approach. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment